A genealogy blog about the migration generation of my McKee Family line, including bios, transcribed obituaries, photographs, and research notes.



Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

NewspaperArchive and Obituaries and Survivor Lists

Based on some recent successes, it appears that in addition to a new Viewer option (with a spiffy new toolbar), NewspaperArchive has added a boatload of new newspapers. I've hit pay dirt on one family that hasn't left much of a trail that I've been able to follow: The William Franklin Reid Family.

William married Margaret Elizabeth Booth and they had nine children that I know of. I haven't had much luck in stumbling across information and almost no luck with targeted searches. However, with the addition of the newspapers, I found two obituaries of interest. Specifically, the survivor lists gave me leads that I've been able to mine.

Margaret's obituary appears in The Abilene Reporter-News, Abilene, Texas, 19 Aug 1960 on page 3. The list of survivors includes children:
  • Mrs. G. T. Smith of Lovington, NM
  • Mrs. Robert Evitt of Lubbock, TX
  • Mrs. Virl Kenney of Inglewood, CA
  • Jack Reid of Breckenridge, TX
  • Loyd Reid of Knox City, TX
  • Lelon Reid of Lake Jackson, TX
  • Ardell Reid of Yuma, AZ
With place names, I was able to start tracking the men. The survivors on Ardell's obituary (The Yuma Daily Sun, Yuma, Arizona, 9 Oct 1975 on page 1) proved to be most helpful.
  • Daisy Smith of Cresson, TX (Mrs. George Thomas Smith)
  • Arlene Evitt of Weatherford, TX (Mrs. Robert Evitt)
  • Gladys Keeny of Torrance, CA (Mrs. Virl Keeny (correct spelling))
  • Lloyd Reid of Weatherford, TX
  • Leland Reid of Lake Jackson, TX (Lelon is correct)
Between knowing where to look and being able to match the daughters to their husbands, I've been able to gather quite a bit of information on this family. I'll post family info later. I'm just too busy pounding out queries for everybody's name...looking for obituaries first and then anything else I can get my hands on. If you haven't checked NewspapersArchive lately, you might want to revisit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment