A genealogy blog about the migration generation of my McKee Family line, including bios, transcribed obituaries, photographs, and research notes.



Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Something that made me shiver...

I've been poking around looking for obits for people on Find A Grave; that is, people for whom I have no obituary. I was looking at the Karber family. They are buried in Valley View Cemetery, Garden City, Finney County, KS.

I looked up the newspaper--The Garden City Telegram. While clicking links, I happened upon the tidbit that Holcomb, which is seven miles from Garden City, was the site of the Clutter murders. Truman Capote told the story of this family's murder in his book In Cold Blood. I read it when I was in my 20's...it was a horrific crime and a chilling read. It turns out that the Karber family was living in Garden City when the murders occurred.

Another odd coincident is that the Clutter family is also buried in the Valley View Cemetery. You can find them on Find A Grave at 5085609.

Like everybody else in the world, I find that I have lots of odd connections to events and people. Most of my connections are funny and entertaining. This one just caused me to say a prayer that all of my connections stay safe in a sometime dangerous world.

No comments:

Post a Comment