A genealogy blog about the migration generation of my McKee Family line, including bios, transcribed obituaries, photographs, and research notes.



Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

The Anderson Family Spurt

Since Vivian contacted me about the Dodd family in the UK, I thought I'd revisit the Alexander McKee Anderson line, which is my other UK line. I'm not sure if people have started posting more or if I'm just getting better a hunting for it, but I hit a bonaza. I had always assumed that nobody in the Alexander McKee Anderson line came to the US. Jeeze was I ever wrong. It turns out that after Alexander died his widow Esther Ann (Pollard) Anderson emmigrated to the US with her son Joseph Anderson.

Esther arrived at Boston, MA aboard the Cephalonia on 2 Sep 1893. In her party are her son Joseph's wife, Julia (Pierce) Anderson, and their children Mary Hannah, Esther, Henry Pierce, and Sarah Jane. The family settles in Biddeford, York County, ME. So far, it appears most of the family stays in the area. Joseph uses his cotton industry experience to work in the mills. While in ME, the Anderson's have additional children: Richard Charles, Frank A (Alexander?), Jessie H, and Elizabeth G. Sometime before the 1920 census Joseph dies. Esther also dies before the 1920 census. Julia (Pierce) Anderson lives until 9 Nov 1956 (Find a Grave Memorial 63368182). I've requested photos to see what the gravesite reveals. Julia was buried in a family plot. I've requested additional pictures. With the weather, I'm sure I won't hear a thing until the spring.

Esther's youngest son, John James Anderson, and his family also come to the USA. They arrive in 1904. The traveling party include John, his wife Anna Ellen (Doran) Anderson, and one son Edward Michael. The family settles in the Saco/Biddeford area. John dies before the 1930 census, probably in Maine. Eventually, the family relocate to Springfield, Hampden County, MA. Anna (Annie) dies in Springfield 21 Aug 1972. Their two sons appear to stay in the area and probably have children that I've yet to discover.

I've also been able to find Samuel Smith (s/o Agnes Elenor Anderson and William Smith). Agnes is another of Esther's children. Samuel is the only one I've found of the Smith's in the US so far. However, after a two-day marathon tracking Andersons, I'm learning never to jump to conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment